This post is a cheat, partly because I’m exhausted after having thrown a surprise party for the wife’s 30th. But also because I happen to be in the midst of a significant bout of procrastination all because I am wallowing in a deep, deep pit of writerly self loathing.
So this week instead of my wordy bullshit, I bring you more writing competitions than you can shake a shakespearian cat at.
With any competition, it’s advisable to ensure you rake the rules of each one with your finest, slickest rule finding comb. I have not displayed the rules of any of these competitions, so if you don’t check, don’t expect to win.
1. Adult Fairytale Competition Entry fee £5, 2500-1700 words. Prizes £200 and magazine publication; £50 and magazine publication. Closes 14th October.
2. Bath Flash Fiction Award Entry fee £9, £4 for members, 300 word. Prizes: £1000, £300, £100. Closes 16th October
3. Stroud Book Festival Contemporary Writing Competition Entry fee FREE, 1500 words. Prizes: £100. Closes 21st October
4. Spine-Chilling Fiction Comp Entry fee £3.50, no more than 1000 words including the title. Prizes: £500; £300; £200; £100. Closes 31st October.
5. Esther Newton’s Writing Comp Extraordinaire Entry fee FREE, up to 500 words. Prizes: £20 plus Esther’s book of short stories and publication on blog. For two runners up: Esther’s book plus publication on blog. Closes 31st October.
6. The London Magazine Short Story Competition. Entry free £5, up to 4000 words. Prizes: £500; £300; £200. Closes 31st October
7. NAWG mentioned in the continuous comp section, has two other competition categories closing on 31st October: Novella, 5000 words plus one page synopsis, and short story competition 500-2000 words.
8. Novel Opening Chapter & Synopsis Competition – Entry fee £10, optional critique £25, first chapter and synopsis. Prizes: £500; £200. Closes 31st October.
9. Caledonia Novel Award Entry fee £20, first 20 pages, plus 200-word synopsis of a novel by an unpublished author. Prizes: £1000, writing course at Moniack Mhor, online publication of the winning extract. Closes 1st November.
10. 500 Word Flash Fiction Competition Entry fee £5, 500 words. Prizes: Prizes £200 and magazine publication; £50 and magazine publication. Closes 14th November.
11. Writer’s Digest Short Short Story Competition Entry fee $20, 1500 words. Prizes $3000. Closes 15th November.
12. Tell a Tale Entry fee FREE, 500 words. Prizes: £300. Closes 19th November.
13. Frightening First Line Contest Entry fee FREE, 31 words. Prizes: writing class of your choice. Closes 21st November.
14. WritersBureau Flash Fiction Entry fee £5, up to 500 words. Prizes: £300; £200; £100. Closes 30th November.
15. The Final Word! Entry fee £3.50, £1 goes to charity, last 100 words of a story. Prizes: £100 plus a bottle of personalised champagne, plus a FREE critique of up to 1,000 words. Closes 30th November.
16. 1000 Word Challenge Entry fee £5, 1000 words. Prizes: £100. Closes 30th
17. Fish Short Story Competition Entry fee €20 post, €22 online. Prizes: €3000 plus a week at Anam Cara Writer’s Retreat in West Cork plus €300 expenses for second, €300 for third. Closes 30th November.
18. UK Internation Novel Writing Competition Entry fee £12, first 5000 words. Prizes: £5000; £2000; £1000. Closes 30th November.
19. Celtic Mythology
Short Story Competition Entry fee $7, 4,000 words. Prizes: $500; $250; $100. Closes 10th December.
20. RW First Chapter Competition Entry fee £15. Prizes: review by literary agent Sam Copeland. Closes 11th December. They also have monthly themed comps, short story and flash comps.
22. Exeter Novel Prize Entry fee £18, first 10,000 words of an uncontracted novel plus synopsis. Prizes: £500; £75 x5. Closes 1st January.
23. Novella-in-Flash Award Entry fee £16, 18,000 words. Prizes: £300 and publication. Closes 17th January.
24. National Memory Day Creative Writing Competition Entry fee £3, 1500 words. Prizes: £4000. Closes 20th January.
25. Bath Flash Fiction Novella in Flash Entry fee £16, 7000 – 18000 words. Prizes: £300′ 2x £100. Closes 31st January.
26. Fish Short Memoir Contest Entry fee €16, €18 postal, up to 4000 words. Prizes: €1000, publication in annual Fish Anthology and a week at Cash Ana Writers retreat in Andalusia and €300 expenses. Closes 31st January.
27. Plymouth Writer’s Group Open Comp Entry fee £5, up to 1500 words. Prizes: £250; £50; anthology publication. Closes 31st January.
28. Win £1000 Book Publishing Deal Entry fee £500, 60-100,000 words amongst other requirements. Prizes: £1000 plus book published in 2017. Closes 31st January.
29. Writers’ & Artists’ Yearbook 2017 Short Story Competition Entry fee FREE, up to 2000 words. Prizes: A place on an Arvon course of the winners’ choice and online publication. Closes 13th February.
30. Fish Flash Fiction Competition Entry fee €14, €8 subsequent entries, 300 words. Prizes: Top ten stories published in the FISH ANTHOLOGY 2017. €1,000; online writing course with Fish. Closes 28th February.
AND A Few Bonus Continuous Comps
31. The NAWG ‘100’ Competition. Entry fee £3, £5.50 for two, £8 for three. Prizes: £75; £25 for every 100 entries – email entries to: email@example.com.
32. 101 Word Story Comp Entry fee FREE. (various competitions, with various closing dates and various prizes.)
33. #StoriesEverywhere Entry fee FREE, 140 characters. Prizes: free writing class of your choice. Closes monthly.
34. Less of a competition more of a one day writers retreat for those based in the UK, check out the writershq page of events, I really wana go to one, mostly because they’re all sweary and boozy, what’s not to love? So if anyone fancies it, drop me a line.
Find this useful? Why not sign up for a monthly newsletter that’s just as useful as this post :p. Subscribe now, here.