The Rebel Diaries: An Anthology
The Call for Stories
What happens when the villain wins?
Sick of dashing debonairs? Fed up of being blinded by shining armor?
Sometimes, all a girl wants is a villain for a hero. The Rebel Diaries is looking for stories starring characters with a dubious shade of morals. We want characters who aren’t afraid of getting what they want, causing a bit of chaos, dabbling in mischief and mayhem, and slathering on the sarcasm.
We want stories that slip into the grey areas, that are bulging with villains, deviants and rebels. We’re after sassy tales littered with questionable morals and happy endings—for the villains anyway.
We are not looking for horror or gratuitous violence, but dark stories that are fun, light hearted explorations of the characters usually hidden in obscurity.
We actively encourage submissions from own voices, characters or authors with disabilities or from underrepresented backgrounds, LGBTQ+ etc.
Submission deadline: June 30th, 2021
Word count: 2,500–7,500 words. Plus or minus 10%. It does not include the title.
Payment: royalty split via Draft2Digital (an account will be required but is free to set up). The anthology will publish ebook and paperback. It won’t publish audio. I—as the editor of the anthology—will be covering the cost of editing and the cover out of my own pocket at a loss to myself. Any earnings will be distributed between the contributors—percentages to be finalized once I know how many authors will be in the anthology. After three months of being published you can do with your story as you see fit. Exclusivity is for three months.
PLEASE NOTE: All stories will be read blind, names will be taken off stories before they’re read and a number assigned to ensure no bias.
- Stories slightly over or under the word count will be considered
- Stories must be saved as a Word document, PDFs will not be accepted
- Times New Roman
- Size 12 font
- 1.5 paragraph spacing
- You can use this template for submitting
- Place your name, the title of the anthology for which you are submitting, and your preferred contact email address in the header of the document
- Sex, violence, are accepted as long as they serve the story
- Creative swearing is encouraged ;p
- No hate speech or fan fiction
- All works must be original and copyright held by the person submitting
- One submission per author only, multiple submissions will lead to disqualification of all submitted stories.
- One story place will be given to a Rebel Author patron
- Reprints will be considered
- Payment for accepted stories will be made through Draft2Digital (a free account can be set up if you don’t have one)
- Failure to adhere to submission guidelines will result in immediate rejection from the anthology.
- Stories will be published with the anthology exclusively for three months. Then the rights to the story revert back to you to do with as you see fit.
- Editor decision is final.
Please submit your stories using the button below: