I made a challenge this year to read a book a week and by the skin of my teeth, I made it (although at the time of writing this I still had a couple more to go) so there’s the optimistic me hoping I squeeze the last two in, other wise this is going to be super awkward!
Anyhoozle, of my 52 books, I wanted a quarter to be indie published, and a quarter to be non-fiction, because 1. supporting other authors, and 2. I’m a knowledge whore.
I’ve been surprised and delighted by looking back at my reading list, some of the stats have shocked me.
So, the stats, out of my 52 books (because I know what the final couple are):
- 26 (50%) were non-fiction
- 26 (50%) were fiction
- 27 (53%) were from self-published authors (of which a couple were author friends with publishing deals)
- 25 (48%) were traditionally published books
- 20 of the 26 fiction books were Young Adult (no surprises there!) Although the biggest shocker for me this year was that only 9 were fantasy, 11 were contemporary YA. I had a feeling I’d been leaning towards contemporary, but I was surprised to realise I’d read MORE contemporary than fantasy.
I’ve had a couple of characters that would fit a contemporary story flitting around my head, so I might start listening – obviously I’ve been bending towards it for a reason.
You can see the rest of the books I’ve read here.
So to my top 10 books of this year, and my top 10 books (plus predictions for next year).
BEST OF 2017
Fiction Books of 2017 (in no particular order)
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
Oath Breaker by Shelley Wilson
Orbiting Jupiter by G. D. Schmidt
A Semi Definitive List of Worst Nightmares by Krystal Sutherland
The Watch and Wand by Allie Potts
Keepers by me (because obviously I’m going to include my own books! :p)
Non-Fiction Books of 2017
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
Deep Work by Cal Newport
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Nobody Wants To Read Your Shit Anyway by Stephen Pressfield
13 Steps To Evil – How To Craft A Superbad Villain by me (because obvs)
And What of 2018? Predictions and Books to Watch Out For
Okay so I’ve got a couple of predictions for 2018
- There’s been a TON of superhero books published by the big YA authors – Leigh Bardugo, Marie Lu, Marissa Meyer to name but a few. With Infinity Wars coming next year, I’ve no doubt that were going to see an explosion of superhero books.
- In addition, I think there might be more pirate novels too
- Alongside that, more graphic novels
- Last, I think audio books will continue to rise in popularity
- Oh, and one more, I think that there will be an increase in co-authored books
10 (that turned into 14) Young Adult Books To Watch Out for in 2018
The sequel to Keepers, by ME!
The Astonishing Colour of After by Emily. X. R. Pan
The Exact Opposite of Okay – Laura Steven
Cruel Prince – Holly Black
Time Bomb –Joelle Charbonneau
Everless – Sara Holland
Zenith – Sasha Alsber & Lindsay Cummings
Children of Blood and Bone – Tomi Adeyemi
Onyx and Ivory Mindee Arnett
Glitter – Aprillynne Pike
War Storm – Victoria Aveyard
A Court of Frost and Starlight – Sarah J. Maas
Obsidio – Aimee Kaufmann and Jay Kristoff
Legendary – Stephanie Garber
That’s it folks, my year in books, my predictions for 2018 and a few books to Keep an eye out for.
If you haven’t bagged your copy of Keepers yet, don’t forget it’s out in all good bookstores now, you can grab your copy here.